Thursday, April 24, 2008

aiming high

jeudi 24 avril 2008

By tomorrow, I will have been in Paris for four weeks, and my first session of French class will be over.  I am in the process of making a few changes to make better use of my time in Paris.

First of all, I am dropping the evening class.  Up to now, I've had both the morning and evening classes; I was ambitious.  Trop.  For May, I will only be attending the morning class, which I believe will bu sufficient to improve my grammar in French.  That means I will have two additional evenings available.  Quoi faire?  As planned, I have been meeting lots of French people interested in language exchange.  It has been great, but that also needs some adjustment.

When you meet someone for such a purpose, the topics of conversations typically revolve around "why are you in Paris," "how long have you been studying English," "where have you visited," etc...  I can honestly say I can answer these questions more than adequately in French.  Sure, when you meet the same person repeatedly, the topics change, but the context doesn't vary much.  So an important goal for the second month is to immerse myself into the daily lives of French people.

I don't know exactly yet how I will accomplish this, but an idea is to join a running club; exercise, French practice, explore more neighborhoods in Paris - I'll be killing three French oiseaux with one Taiwanese-American pierre.  I don't know what that means; it sounded better in my head.

I have a week to relax (me, relax?), as if spending two months in Paris isn't relaxing enough.  I'll be traveling to Provence and the Alps with my friends Didier and Alim.  This would be the first time that I travel to the south of France.

Jealous much?  No worries, I'll keep you all updated with photos, it will be as if you were there yourselves.  Reach out into the screen and it's like touching the snowy Alps.  That is, if my brain will still function at an altitude of 4,000 meters.

No comments: