Tuesday, April 1, 2008

who's a fool?

mardi 1 avril 2008

The most important thing to do today was to get a monthly coupon for my carte orange (a metro ID card with my beautiful picture on it from my trip two years ago).  For about 54 Euros, you have unlimited rides for all public transportation within Paris, not bad at all, considering Paris has arguably the best metro system in the world.  Supposedly, you can always find a metro station within 500 meters from wherever you are in the city.  I haven't tested this out myself, but I have no doubt it's true.  If you don't believe it, just bring a measuring tape on your next trip to Paris.

There are 14 lines, one of them automatically operated.  I did ride on this line during my last trip, quite impressive.  Perhaps there are more automatic lines by now, I don't know - will find out during the next two months.

Hier soir, j'ai eu mon cours du soir de 19h à 21h. Nous étions neuf étudiants avec le prof Stephanie un. Elle était Stephanie un parce qu'il y a deux prof qui s'appellent Stephanie. Je lui ai demandé pourquoi elle n'était pas Stephanie une puisqu'elle était féminin. Elle m'a dit que j'avait raison. Comme toujours.

Dans ma classe, une femme est arrivée très tard. Elle parlait le français avec un accent très fort. Quand elle est arrivée, on devinait la nationalité, la profession, et les loisirs de chaque étudiant. C'était à son tour, l'étudiante en retard. J'ai immédiatement deviné qu'elle était italienne à cause du accent qui me semblait italien et des gestes des mains quand elle parlait. Mais j'avais tort, Natalia était russe. Je me sentait mieux à la fin du cours quand un étudiant italien m'a dit que lui il a aussi pensé au début que Natalia était italienne. Les stéréotypes ont toujours jusqu'à un certain point de vérité.

1 comment:

Pinch of Chic & Dash of Fun said...

Alex!
I read every entry of your blog! How cool!!! I especially liked the candid photo of you staring out the window.

It's so nice to see you writing in both English and French! I just decided to pick up French again since I do work for a French company. In fact, they own the Paris Metro!! Haa!

Okay, can't wait to see you in person in SF. Enjoy and keep those entries coming! HUGS!!
Girl in HK